At DropBox Inc. we build almost anything out of ISO shipping containers. We get a lot of requests and questions about shipping container modifications. This week in the Shipping Container Mods Blog we'd like to take a look at the top 5 things we think you need to know about shipping container modifications before you make a purchase.
1. Don't go just buying the cheapest container you can find. Much like anything else when it comes to shipping container modifications, you pay for what you get. Make sure you thoroughly inspect any shipping container or shipping container modification you purchase before you purchase it.
2. Make sure you're not going to violate any building codes in your area. Every state, county, and/or municipality has their own rules for the use of "modular building". Prior to investing a lot of money into any type of shipping container modification it is important to find out what the rules are in your area.
3. Make sure you get a reliable contractor or container modification company. Yeah most anyone with a welder can cut a hole in the side of a box and put in a window or door but much like any other craft shipping container modification comes with its' own set of concerns. When building anything from an ISO shipping container it is important to know that the people building yours have experience and can be trusted to know what they are doing.
4. Know the limits of your box and understand the containers structural limitations. Here at DropBox Inc. we have in-house engineers and CAD draftsmen that help us assure that what we build is fully engineered to both function as need and to be durable during shipping and while in use. If you plan on doing your own shipping container modification work make sure you have your box engineered and designed by an expert.
5. Don't expect to save some exorbitant amount of money. Truth is shipping container modifications aren't as cheap as you might initially expect and like we mentioned earlier, you get what you pay for...